Visit Laithwaites.co.uk

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Grand Chai Bordeaux 2009 Bottling

This morning the Grand Chai Bordeaux 2009 was finally bottled. The great 2009 vintage has been talked about quite a lot, and I can be very proud to say we have managed to capture this terrific vintage in a bottle for our customers!

Today we also welcomed Magali Hawkins to our Chai team and what better way to say bonjour than a rustic French lunch at the Voyageur and a taste of the newly bottled 2009 Bordeaux? Santé!

In the afternoon Jean-Marc and I were lucky to taste some old vintages of Bordeaux to see if we can find some things to make a special mixed case. We tasted from 1991 through to 2004 and came across some lovely wines which just show how well traditionally-made Bordeaux can age. I am sure most of these were undrinkable in the early part of their lives, but now the vision of the winemaker can be realised and enjoyed.

After the tasting I drove out to visit a Chateau in Puisseguin St.Emilion appellation. I had ‘tip off’ from Bruno Dellac (Chateau Tertre de Bel Air) that they were making some interesting things, so I went to find out myself and investigate further and I’m very glad I did. I learnt quite a bit about the dynamic owner Francoise Lannoye and before I knew it we were on our way to her other Chateau in St.Emilion Grand Cru Chateau Ambe Tour Pourret. Delicious wines and very smart cellars!

Meanwhile the Dordogne cellar has been very active today with Petit Denis was racking the 2009 Grand Chai St.Emilion from barrel. It’s early days but the first taste this evening is very promising indeed!

Visit laithwaites.co.uk

No comments: