Visit Laithwaites.co.uk

Thursday 8 October 2009

I awoke to such a warm morning, 20 degrees at 7am!

Busy start at the Chai – firstly by stirring many barrels until the delightful tune of the fax machine rings at 9am and that should mean analysis results! Sure enough it is yesterday’s sugar analysis confirming that the Roussanne, JMS Sauvignon Blanc, GG and Viognier are bone dry so it’s time to 'rack' and put the wine safely into full tanks.

A lovely lunch of guinea fowl (Bernadette special!) was very much appreciated and certainly helped me greatly for another long journey this afternoon to Perpignan. On the way I decide to stop off in Carcassonne to meet Antonio to see how his wines are shaping up.

Antonio makes some great wines and it is always interesting to listen and taste through the vats to get a picture of his ideas. And it was lucky I stopped off as he has some fantastic Viognier! I think it is one of the best Viognier years for the south of France and this find will make another impressive wine for our customers.

It’s straight off to Perpignan and I arrive to a spectacular sunset over Perpignan with the looming Canigou mountain in the background.

The Canigou has no snow on the 2900m peak yet and I discover why as I get out of the air conditioned car into a very balmy 26 degree evening!

A quick bite to eat on the terrace of the superb and friendly 'Le Vauban' restaurant along the canal with an excellent glass of Domaine Coume de Mas 2008 Collioure Blanc.

Tomorrow takes me back to the l'Agly Valley to check the progress of the XV President, Maury, Syrah de Folie and the Vent de Folie.

Visit laithwaites.co.uk

No comments: