Visit Laithwaites.co.uk

Tuesday 8 September 2009

The first juice arrives!

Had to stay in a very strange looking hotel in the centre of Rivesaltes last night as all the usual IBIS, Mercure and Novotel in Perpignan were fully booked. The hotel was the La Tour de l’Horlage and I fully recommend it. The rooms haven’t changed since the 1930’s but it is immaculately clean.

On arrival I was greeted by the very friendly owner who showed to my room and then told me I was expected in the restaurant in 15 minutes! Purposely 10 minutes late, I gingerly went down to the restaurant only for Madame to reveal a marvellous little open air courtyard restaurant serving simple and delicious Catalan barbecue grub, good music in the background and some honest local rustic wine.

After a great night sleep I was fresh and ready to load the 2009 GG juice and transport it to the Chai. The juice had chilled and settled perfectly so I racked (took the clear juice off the sediment) straight into the tanker. Once the tanker was full and the paperwork was completed, it was the long 5hour drive back to Castillon. I had to get a move on as I was holding a tasting for a wedding party who were having their reception at the Chai at 6pm!


I finally made it to the Chai at about 5 minutes to six dressed in work clothes and with the tanker in tow.

The Chai looked amazing thanks to a lot of hard work from Clare and Bridgitte, the guests were delighted to witness a real working cellar in full action whilst they enjoyed the nibbles and Champagne!

After a long week I treated myself to a glass of Champagne to toast in the new vintage





Visit laithwaites.co.uk

No comments: